As per Regulation 9 of WORKPLACE SAFETY AND HEALTH (SAFETY AND HEALTH MANAGEMENT SYSTEM AND AUDITING) REGULATIONS 2009, it shall be the duty of the occupier of following workplaces to appoint a workplace safety and health auditor to audit the safety and health management system of the workplace at a frequency as specified below.
The audit methodology includes document review, site inspection and interview of key personnel. The man days required for audits will vary according to audit criteria adopted for different types of workplaces.
The SHMS audit will be conducted in accordance with the relevant WSH legislation and guidelines set out for each industry.
The audit will be conducted by MOM Approved WSH Auditors employed by MOM Approved WSH Auditing Organization.
The audit will evaluate the SHMS based on the WSH Act and its subsidiary legislation, as well as the following documents used as audit criteria:
|Type of Industry
||Reference Standard / Guide
|Construction Worksites with Contract Sum of $30 Million & above
||Requirements for the Construction Safety Audit Scoring System (ConSASS) 2020
Audit Scope covers all the work activities at the work processes and activities in organization.
1. Request for Quote for Auditing Service
Authorised Representative of Applicant Organisation submits a request for quote for auditing service by completing a form and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Information to be provided by Applicant Organisation includes:
- the desired audit scope;
- applicant organisation’s name, address(es) of its site(s)/location(s)/branch(es) under the same UEN number, total number of employees, its processes and operations, human and technical resources, functions, relationships and any relevant legal obligations;
- identification of outsourced processes used by the organisation that will affect conformity to requirements;
- the standards or other requirements for which the applicant organisation is seeking auditing service;
- whether consultancy relating to the management system to be audited has been provided, and if so, by whom.
2. Request Review
Bond will review the information submitted in the request for quote to ensure that
- any known difference in understanding between Bond and the applicant organisation is resolved;
- Bond has the competence and ability to perform the audit;
- the site(s) of the applicant organisation’s operations, time required to complete audit and any other points influencing the auditing activity are taken into account (language, safety conditions, threats to impartiality, etc).
After careful evaluation, Bond will email the Applicant Organisation’s representative acceptance or non-acceptance of the request to quote. Should the request be declined, reasons will be stated clearly in the email.
If the request to quote is accepted, Bond will determine the number of auditors for the audit, the competencies needed in the audit team, as well as the audit duration (based on Annex 2 of Appendix 2 of SAC CT 17) and issue a quote.
3. Audit Duration
The minimum required audit duration per enterprise on-site in man-days is based on the following table from Annex 2 to Appendix 2 of SAC CT 17. Additionally, the auditor will consider the time needed to plan and accomplish a complete and effective audit of the client’s management system.
||Minimum Required Audit Duration (On-site Man-days) b
|Up to 200
||201 to 500
|1st Initial Audit
Note a — First initial audit for a worksite is to be completed within six months upon commencement of work activities at the worksite. The audit duration of construction work sites started operation more than six months ago will be based on the duration of a subsequent audit.
Note b — Total mandays in the above table shall exclude off-site report writing. All auditors in the audit team shall be present on-site for at least one day in order to have adequate time for site appreciation and assessment, unless the total on-site audit duration is 1 manday.
4. Audit Scope
The auditor appointed by Bond will determine the audit scope with the client.
5. Audit Plan
An audit plan covering audit objective, audit criteria, audit methodology, audit scope, audit location, audit schedule, roles and responsibilities of the various audit parties will be established and communicated with the client and the audit dates mutually agreed upon in advance.
6. On-site Audit
The audit team will conduct the on-site audit using the audit checklist. On-site audit will include:
- Opening meeting
- Familiarisation tour of the workplace
- Obtaining and verifying information through
- Review of documentation and records
- Physical inspection and observation of processes and activities
- Interviews of personnel
- Closing meeting
7. Audit Report and Testimony
An electronic copy of the audit report shall be issued for each audit conducted and a Testimony of Audit may be furnished on request.
8. Request for additional information/Complaints/Feedback
Requests for information, complaints and feedback can be directed to email: email@example.com..
Requests for information will be subject to approval. Complaints, if any, will be evaluated and corrective action(s) taken and feedback given to complainant for closure.
Roles & Responsibilities of Audit Team:
- Lead the audit team.
- Conduct opening meeting covering all relevant items as per auditing standard.
- Review the results of previous audits, if any.
- Ensure that audits are carried out according to requirements stipulated by Regulatory Authorities.
- Assign the tasks to audit team.
- Keep the client informed of audit progress.
- Reassign work as needed between the audit team members and periodically communicate the progress of the audit and any concerns to the client
- Where the available audit evidence indicates that the audit objectives are unattainable or suggests the presence of an immediate and significant risk (e.g. Safety), the audit team leader shall report this to the client.
- Review with the client any need for changes to the audit scope that becomes apparent as on-site auditing activities progress.
- Attempt to resolve any diverging opinions between the audit team and the client concerning audit evidence or findings, and record unresolved points.
- Review audit findings with his team.
- Conduct closing meeting covering all relevant items as per auditing standard.
- Present audit conclusions during closing meeting.
- Consolidate the audit report and send to WSH Auditing Department Head of WSH Auditing Organization (Greensafe International Pte Ltd).
- Conduct audits according to requirements from Regulatory Authorities.
- Carry out audits as per audit itinerary.
- Discuss audit findings with lead auditor prior to closing meeting.
- Follow the directions given by lead auditor.
- Assist the lead auditor in presenting findings on clauses / elements audited by him during closing meeting.
Auditee(s) / Guide:
- Establishing contacts and timing for interviews;
- Arranging visits to specific parts of the site or organization;
- Ensuring that rules concerning site safety and security procedures are known and respected by the audit team members;
- Witnessing the audit on behalf of the client;
- Providing clarification or information as requested by an auditor.
Technical Experts will be deployed as necessary for audits.
Testimony of Audit Conducted:
A testimony will be issued to the audited organization stating the company name, location, audit criteria, audit date and auditing organization name.
Processes for handling requests for information and complaints:
If audited client has any request for information and complaints, he/she can email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating clearly client name, identity & contact details of person making the request and details of complaints.
Organisation under different categories are required to have the audit conducted in different interval, more information on the different categories can be found here.
If your organisation / site are under the required categories above to conduct a ConSASS/ WSHMS audit, you can contact at email@example.com
Or fill in the safety enquiry below and our staff will get back to you as soon as possible.